In my recent blog – How to Sell to Retail – Overview of Section 1 – LOOK BIG I gave a brief introduction to the 3-part plan to “looking big”. In this blog I’m going to dig a little deeper into the first part of the section on LOOK BIG and talk about the importance of your business IDENTITY.
Why your business identity is so important if you want to look big
Your business identity includes all the ingredients that make the vital first impression on all those who come across it – of course this includes your ideal customers, retail buyers.
Within your identity you need to focus on:
- Having a mission statement that clearly articulates exactly what your business is about
- Using that mission statement to really engage your team, suppliers, customers and wider stakeholder network AND to validate decisions
- Leveraging the “softer” aspects of the business’ “personality” and culture to demonstrate to potential clients that you have the right approach and attitude towards the sensitive issues of ethics, environment and sourcing
- Defining your positioning, and understanding the effect positioning can have on the expectations of those who deal with you
These are the foundations of your business identity and through these you will project an impression on all those who notice your business, so the key is to make sure it is good, credible and you can “look big”, or at least look sufficiently credible to work with the big players!
Why your brand and visual identity needs to make the right impact
As I mentioned in the summary blog “Dress for the job you want” – if you think about all the words that articulate the business as it’s personality then your brand and visual identity expresses that with it’s “style”. It’s all about the “presentation” aspect of positioning, so, looking at your visual identity and brand image in detail. You need to consider:
- The importance of having the right presentation
- How “Brand” is a key contributor to the ability to “hit above your weight”
- Why all outward representation of your brand, both physical materials and also online content, can make a difference to how you are perceived.
How to make sure you’re giving the RIGHT impression and making impact with your business identity
If you want to make sure you’re giving out all the right messages you need to spend a bit of time thinking about how you express and share such things as
- Your mission statement
- Your culture, values and ethics
- Your positioning
When you are selling to bigger companies these things matter.
Then, building from these foundations, you should also now appreciate the importance of the creation and deployment of your visual identity, considering how perception of your brand is influenced by your brand image. You now have the ability to review your branding and be asking yourself:
- Is your brand identity congruent with your mission, positioning and values?
- Does your brand make you “look big”?
- Is your branding appropriately and consistently deployed?
The branding elements link tightly to the next part in this section, presence. So in my next blog in this series I’ll explore how aspects of your business presence are closely connected to the deployment of your visual identity.
Thanks for reading and in the meantime if you’d like to learn more around the topic you can sign up for 52 FREE weekly tips on selling to retailers via http://www.retailchampion.co.uk/selling-tips/ or you can pre-order my book, “How to Sell to Retail: Secrets of Getting your Product to Market” via http://www.retailchampion.co.uk/selling-to-retailers/ which will be published and available from 3rd February 2013.