Tomorrow marks the 4th week of Independent Retailer Month (July 2011). We’ve already published 21 great articles from a wide range of experts for our “blog-a-day for #IndieRetail” event. There are 10 to come. Below is a preview of the last 10 blogs, days 22 – 31!
Blogs scheduled from 22nd – 31st July…
Below is a summary of the last 10 days of blogs for the “a blog-a-day for #IndieRetail” event! Subscribers to this blog will get an auto-notification and those following @retailchampion on twitter, watching #indieretail on twitter, or who have “liked” Independent Retailer Month UK on facebook will also see the blogs appearing!
- 22nd July 2011 – Blog by Michelle Walton: Michelle is the founder of Birds Yard in Leeds, a really fantastic example of a celebration of Independent Retail. Michelle’s inspiration to set up Birds Yard came from her own retailing experiences and on 31st July she celebrates the 1st birthday for Birds Yard. This blog tells a great story of what Independent Retailers can do when they work together AND Includes an invitation to their birthday party 🙂
- 23rd July 2011 – Blog by Leon Foster-Hill: Leon is the extending working lives engagement manager for the retail sector at Capita Consulting. He is tasked with spreading the word about the changes to state retirement age, an ageing workforce, and what this means to smaller, retail businesses. This blog includes some facts and advice as to how smaller retailers can accommodate the inevitable shift in employee demographics in coming years.
- 24th July 2011 – Blog by Steve Clarke: Steve is one of the country’s leading experts on grassroots sales and marketing strategies. Not a theorist or a guru, but a doer. In this blog he shares his thoughts about how businesses can take more responsibility for their sales – it is amusing, thought provoking and valuable advice!
- 25th July 2011 – Blog by Scott Storey: Scott is managing director of CTS Retail, which represents both EPOS partners and Cervello POS. In this blog Scott shares his thoughts as to why he absolutely believes that Independent Retailers CAN compete with the multiples. A motivating read, and certainly food for thought!
- 26th July 2011 – Blog by Andrew Rayner: In this 2nd blog by Andrew, he shares “7 Ways To Renovate Your Google Place”. Local internet marketing is a powerful tool, especially as users migrate to mobile. In this blog you will learn how to increase the value of your local business listing on Google. These 7 easy steps from e-mphasis Internet Marketing are aimed at both driving better quality and higher volume of web visitors and in-store shoppers.
- 27th July 2011 – Blog by Laura Rigney: Laura is the entrepreneurial founder of both Pitcher House and The Mumpreneur Conference and Awards. In this blog Laura draws on her experiences from Pitcher House and shares her thoughts as to how Independent Retailers CAN compete with the retailing giants…
- 28th July 2011 – Blog by Deryane Tadd: Deryane is founder and owner of a fantastic fashion boutique in the pretty market town of St Albans. Having learned about retail operations from her earlier career with the big players, Deryane was inspired to set up her own shop. Leveraging her experience from corporate life and from successfully trading as “The Dressing Room” for over 6 years, she shares some of her top tips for retail success.
- 29th July 2011 – Blog by Clare Rayner: That’s me 🙂 … and in this blog I will share my thoughts about this month – the first Independent Retailer Month in the UK. I will reflect on what we have achieved, and how. I’ll sum up with my view that by working together to maintain a focus on the unique value-add that Independent Retailers bring to the sector the support from relevant organisations will follow…
- 30th July 2011 – Blog by Kerry Bannigan: Kerry is a Brit who moved over to New York and, as they say, if you can make it there you can make it any where – so she did. Kerry founded Nolcha, for the advancement of Independent Fashion. This lead to a wide reach into the USA Independent Retail sector. Kerry began a series of 1-week “tours” to various US Cities… this was the starting point for independent retailer month, which she co-founded with Tom Shay. This blog explains the background and vision of Independent Retailer Month from one of the founders.
- 31st July 2011 – Blog by Ruth Jones: Ruth and her husband Andrew are brave because in a few weeks they launch a new retail business, Seriously Sofas. With such doom and gloom on the high street one might be excused from thinking they are both mad! This is their story of the prelaunch phase of a new retail brand – and when you read it am I sure you’ll be inspired! They set an great example and I’m sure, with such diligence and attention to detail, they’ll be a success story. Well, we wanted to end the month with a real high point 🙂
Hope you enjoy the final 10 blogs and have found this a really valuable exercise in sharing information, ideas, hints & tips – do let us know, because if you’ve enjoyed it we can repeat it next year (and if not, we won’t)!